Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tuesday September 27: Dream On!

This was the first time I met with Kayla since the project dream kick off. We had planned that I would go to her house on Tuesday afternoons and we would work on Irish step dancing skills such as balance, core exercises, posture and steps. At her house, her mom was there and we had all talked when I had first got there. Kayla’s mom seemed to do a lot of talking for Kayla, sometimes she would ask Kay to tell me something, and sometimes Kayla would shake her head and would just rather her mother talk for her. I noticed that communication is a major hurtle that Kay deals with. She has the skills to communicate but often she just opts not to.

On the phone and talking with Kayla’s mom in person I received quite a bit of information about Kay. She is a Senior at Homer High School, and her two favorite interests are horseback riding and Irish step dancing. Medical concerns for Kay is that she has limited range of motion in her neck, concerning tilting it back far or rotations. Also that Kay struggles with balance and it would be one of our goals for her to improve while I work with her.

After talking with her mom, Kay and I went in and watched and participated with an instructional Irish step dancing DVD she had. Kay is extremely passionate about it, but it seems she gets frustrated when she cannot do the steps at the level (speed or accuracy) of the instructional DVD. Her behavior when she seems to be frustrate is an eye roll and then the repetition of trying over and over with no success. When I saw this I tried to get her to take a break from the DVD. We paused it and I tried to break down the step in order to have a little more success. I kept this in mind for planning next time, trying to bring activities and stray away from the DVD in order to limit her frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment