Monday, October 10, 2011

October 10: "Dance is the hidden language of the soul"

Kayla started attending a Irish step dancing class on Mondays from 5-5:45, the teacher is allowing for me to come every once in a while to see how she is teaching and this way I can practice the skills with Kay when I meet with her on Tuesdays. Kayla’s mom and her were excited that I was willing to do this, and they thought it was something that Kay would benefit from and something that I could benefit in the way I help her progress as an Irish step dancer.

In the class there were two other girls who were around 7 years old. When I got there Kayla seemed happy to see me and was actively participating in the class. The teacher was doing a great job of teaching but since there was younger girls in the class a lot of the cues seemed a little to childish for Kay. I noticed she would kind of look at me with a smirk and I feel like this is because she knew that the cues being used were centered around an elementary level. Kay’s dancing level of skill is very similar to the girls in her class, at a beginner/ basic level. I noticed she often has trouble with left/right when dancing. I am unsure if this is due to the teacher facing us, not paying attention to her feet, or because she doesn’t really understand left from right.

Observing Kay's behavior in class, you can tell from her posture that she is shy. She tends to slouch and avoid eye contact. Also when the teacher was asking questions, she preferred not to answer them, even when the questions were directed right at her.

No comments:

Post a Comment